Saturday 31 August 2013

Matt Haig - The Humans


Humans embark on journeys everyday to ‘find themselves’. Haig’s character, as far as I’m aware, has gone the furthest yet. Most would travel, learn a new language, pick up a new instrument or just read a book and develop a change. Haig’s character however takes a different route; a roller-coaster of emotion, and we get to witness the right and wrong decisions being made on this 'trip'. At one point I literally talked to the book, pleading for the character to choose the other option. Haig has created a manual to life and has produced something quite unique that really does send your head spinning and heart beating. 

When a thought to be impossible mathematics problem is solved by a professor on Earth, it does not seem to go down well with others in outer space. Professor Andrew Martin of Cambridge University wakes up naked on a motorway unsure of everything. He hates everyone and everything in this world. He thinks clothes are pointless and the food is gross. Even his wife is too horrific to look at. Lucky for him he needn’t be there long to complete his mission. But what happens when he finds a friend in a dog named Newton, reads poetry by Emily Dickinson and discovers the beautiful harmony of peanut butter and bread? 

My first impressions were that it’s such a relatable book. Everyone can pick this up and learn something from it. It is a funny read too, reading about what an alien might make of planet Earth. I actually found myself nodding along to the opinions on things such as magazines, human bodies, capitalism, the weather and “the things we do to make us happy that actually make us miserable.” I couldn’t help but agree. I really wasn’t expecting to laugh as much as I did but when Haig’s character starts defining things found on Earth like cows and photographs, you really do have to chuckle along. 

As the story goes on though it becomes heart warming, special and you find yourself needing to know more. My only critique in fact is that it was maybe too long towards the end when you really just want to know what happens. But maybe that’s just me - cut to the chase. Haig does write beautifully though so even through my impatience I learnt. One of my favourite lines that highlights his brilliant technique for writing; “She smiled a sad smile, and blew a brown tide of ripples across the surface of her drink.” A simple thing to happen yet such a wonderful description. A mesmerising way to make an ordinary moment, extraordinary.  

I could go on and on, picking out clever lines and favoured parts but instead I will just recommend you put it on your reading list. It’s a wonderful tale and incorporates surprise, love and humour. My three favourite things to find in the pages of a book. It isn’t truthful, but Haig is honest throughout. After reading you may question things around you, see things differently, love more, hurt less. I guarantee whatever it is, you will feel something. It is a powerful read and I thank Matt Haig for sharing this story with us. 


5/5

Have you read it? What did you think? 
Please leave me a comment below :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment