Saturday 31 August 2013

Beechstock Music Festival - The Review of Acoustic Acts



Having spent a wonderful day at Magnolia Park, High Wycombe, at a music infused festival I felt it my duty to report back on some of the fantastic talent that was happening on the Acoustic Stage. There were some really amazing acts today and I would love to review them all but my hands may fall off in the process! 
Instead I provide you with a varied selection: 


Dan Goss

Watching Dan go on stage I played a guessing game in my head, wondering what might happen when the microphone was switched on and the guitar plugged in. Well I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. His voice was unexpectedly great and as cheesy as this sounds - smooth as silk! Although his range may not be huge it’s enough to please your ears. 
He performed a brilliant variety of covers including ‘Ain’t no Sunshine’ and a version of the modern song ‘La la la’. Dan really showed off his diversity through each song which he mixed up to make it his own. Even switching up lyrics to make them relatable to him. 
And for you musicians out there, no his mesmerising voice is not all that makes him enjoyable; he is also very skilled on guitar. Again, switching up chords to suit his way of performing a song. Very enjoyable to watch. 

Find more on Dan Goss here:


Alkka and Chris

A duo, boy and girl, enters a stage and you know they will either be good or bad. Luckily for me, and the other few hundred people at Beechstock, they were definitely on the good side of things. 
Lets start with Chris, guitarist, who demonstrated his talented technique with some lovely tunes. He also performs with a loop pedal to provide the audience with extra layers that really enhance their set. Unfortunately, for one of the songs, ‘You Need Me, I Don’t Need You’ I felt maybe a bit too busy at the end with the layering. Lots of great sounds produced by Chris though. 
Alkka, with her powerful voice, blew the crowd away. I can recall her version of ‘Titanium’ having everyone hold their breath to see if she could hit that note, and she did, with distinction I might add. I think the lyrics need to be off stage during a set as I find presence is better without, but Alkka, that voice is exciting and sellable. 
Alkka and Chris make an excellent duo, are clearly well rehearsed and refresh the original versions of each song to add their own quirky elements into the sound. For me, that’s what makes an excellent cover band go from listenable to enjoyable. 

Find more on Alkka and Chris here: 

Chris and Alkka are also in a separate band which you can find information for here


James Blowers

If you have read my reviews before you will know that I think James’ EP is exceptionally well done, but what about his live stuff? Another necessity of being an artist is the ability to perform live... which he quite simply nails. 
James opened his set with an upbeat cover that really throws you into what he’s about. Confidence. Skill. Voice. Best way to describe his voice is like a road trip, often smooth but with the occasional injection of gravel. What I mean is he holds his notes well and then incorporates bursts of huskiness throughout his set that shows off his dynamics. James, like every vocalist, has a maximum to their range and every time I see him live, this just gets better. 
James is pleasing for the ears and will meet a variety of tastes with his assortment of covers. He also performs original songs too that are relatable and catchy. 
For a review of his EP please follow this link: http://amielou89.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/james-blowers-review_19.html 

Find out more on James Blowers here: 


Jack Little

When I approached Jack about me reviewing him, he agreed but shyly advised me other reviewers had been quite harsh about his style. Well Jack you know what? They haven’t a clue what they are talking about! When you got on that stage at Beechstock an emotional voice just burst out of you. It’s like a whine, but a whine that is in tune and really displays to the audience your passion for music. Jack you sing your heart out on stage and that’s what I love about you. 
Jacks original songs are fun, great to bounce along to. I just want to throw in a cajon or an egg shaker to give it an extra layer. The guitar skill is evidently well practiced. 
Jack produces a raw, unpolished tone in his sound. It’s not perfect, perfect is pretentious and Jack most certainly isn’t that. Another great act to have representing upcoming music at Beechstock. 

Find out more on Jack Little here: 


So nothing but skill and talent at Beechstocks latest music festival. Each band/artist had a fantastic reception by the kind audiences who graced their presence and lapped up the rare attendance of the English sun. 
Please check out the mentioned artists and look into downloading their music and visiting them at shows local to you. 



Have you been to any festivals this summer? 
Who were the highlight acts for you? 



No comments:

Post a Comment