Monday 19 August 2013

Dirty Thrills - My New Guilty Pleasure


The name Dirty Thrills, I don’t know about you, made me think of getting thrills through dirty means - use your imagination here. However, having listened to this successful quartets EP they have quickly become a bit of a guilty pleasure for my ears. The dirty relates to their combination of heavy riffs, vocals that, hand on heart, I was NOT expecting and their modern blues meets rock ‘n’ roll swagger. As for the thrills? Well, you just listen to this EP and try not to be blown away by their clear talent and passion for music making. 

Let’s look at it track by track. ‘Shivers’, yes I got lots! The music is catchy and smart. ‘Growing Young’, harmonies, relatable lyrics and best of all - the doo doo’s!! For those of you who don’t know, you sing the doo doo’s in your song and I will love it! ‘Drunk Words’, a mixture of intense noise, melodies and vocals that prove just how amazing Louis is with his range. In my notes I wrote ‘A proper good rock song’ because it grasps all the elements you expect to find in rock with bursts of innovative features to really keep you on your toes. Finally, ‘You’re in Trouble’; the name already intriguing me, making me wonder who’s in trouble? What did they do? The opening just continued to grip me more before the cleverly crafted lyrics came into play. The Dirty Thrills EP is one of those rarities where each song is as good as the last. It’s diverse enough to listen to again and again and notice something different each time.  

It fresh, it’s original, it’s exciting, it’s everything I look for in an upcoming band. We’re granted a vocalist who’s voice is sexy, powerful and full of rock. Guitarists who could hypnotise you with their groovy yet edgy styles. The rhythm turns its attention to low, solid ranges, acting as the frame in which the band sit. Together, complimenting each other, Dirty Thrills just had me witnessing a fun, thrilling electricity that’s made me want to listen to the EP over and over. Come and liven up my hometown with your music boys! 

Follow them, like them, tweet them but most of all LOVE them! 


No comments:

Post a Comment