Monday 19 August 2013

James Blowers - A Review



“It is here we truly hear Blowers’ range and discover a star in this musical generation.”

Combining skilled guitar and talented vocals, James Blowers succeeds in the eye of current music. From the town of Bicester, Oxfordshire emerges a fresh take on the acoustic scene. 


Self described as Indie/folk, Blowers’ latest four track EP, Submarine, was written, mixed and produced by himself, in the comfort of his own bedroom! Not that this is something we pick up on as listeners. Having regularly performed with this guy I can already recommend you catch him at one of his shows, but if you don’t have the time please check out his music here: www.jamesblowers.com

 Submarine, the EP, opens with a lovely, ambient melody and is quickly joined by vocals, which hold a shocking similarity to Dave Macpherson’s tone (InMe lead vocalist).  Monarchy of 1 consists of clever lyrics and artful composition. It introduces and gives you a great insight to Blowers’ musical genre. My only uncertainty to this song is the scratching of the guitar we hear as Blowers moves his fingers, skillfully, along the neck. However, to some this can be seen as an adroit effect which provides a raw awareness to the music and so I will keep my mouth shut! 
Track number two, Believe, is lyrically my favourite. Blowers has conversations with shooting stars and oak trees and expresses his belief in being free. It is here we truly hear Blowers’ range and discover a star in this musical generation. 
Submarine, I know, is favoured by many of Blowers’ fans for its fast pace, exciting guitar patterns and relatable lyrics. The emotion to this song is also layered on thick with his expressions of pleading, rushing and smiling at the sea. 
Finally, we come to Something in the Water. Another masterpiece to really top off the EP. This is also, for me, the most catchiest tune on the CD. 

Blowers has clearly spent a lot of time working on his music, perfecting it to reach a level of distinction. He overlays his voice to produce echoes, harmonises his guitar picking with strums and articulates words of wisdom, knowledge and beliefs. For a flavour of great upcoming music I recommend you log into www.jamesblowers.com and witness this all for yourself. This EP took me back to my Damien Rice days where my bedroom was filled with candles and I just lay on my bed listening to the sweet sounds and tried to envision a better place. It is relatable, catchy and a vision of what I want to see more of in musics future. 

Congratulations to James Blowers, your path to self discovery has not been wasted as you share with us a piece of your life and clear talent for music writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment