Tuesday 27 August 2013

"Valfader..."


Valfader took me longer than usual to produce a review for as they are not something I would personally choose to listen to. After hearing the EP, quite a few times, I have come to appreciate their talent on instruments, their style of music, but I won’t be buying the songs. Don’t get me wrong they have done a fantastic job. The music is impressive, merging together heavy riffs with melodic sections. They are clearly influenced by an array of bands which is a must, in my eyes, when writing music. So what is it that’s stopping me from wanting to hear more? Let’s go through the EP and I’ll reveal it, just as it was revealed to me.  

‘Whispers of Chaos’, title track of the EP, grants us an exciting opening. The music tells a story and it’s as though these guys are clever and capable at expressing themselves through sounds produced solely by their instruments - a great talent to posses, especially when fashioning metal music. The song builds up and up, climaxing with epic guitar solos and heavy beats. Valfader’s heavy genre is laid out on the table with this instrumental track and I was enjoying the sound...
‘Green Sleeps’ then takes over and is again formed from really good instrumental work. However, we get our first taste of the Vocalist and I feel this seriously weakens Valfader’s sound. For me, I’m hearing someone trying to produce Korn’s Jonathan Davis style with their vocals and it just isn’t working. It’s not powerful enough. I must emphasise the music on this track is insanely good and again climaxes with distinction. But i’m sorry to say the vocals broke my excitement for the band. 
‘DMT’, in it’s ten minute length, reiterates the bands skill for writing music. Although, my critique towards the vocalist becomes more evidential. The singing is bearable but the metal roars he produces just sound like an angry man shouting. His technique needs to be practiced and bettered if I was honest, and I speak from a very metal background. I feel as though he is trying to be as epic as the bands music, but just can’t keep up with the intensity. 
‘Sacred Spiral’ evaluates the EP to be made up of skilled playing, with the band masterfully mixing their instruments sounds to harmonise and create this chaotic yet pleasurable noise.  

It’s good, it’s really good, but my ears were begging for the vocalist to stop or be replaced by something better. Valfader should write instrumental music for films such as 300 and Saw! Their music is fitting for this job because their music is epic enough to compete with the scenes of these types of films. My concern however is not only the voice, but also the lengths of their songs, eight minutes being the shortest and eleven minutes the longest. They go on, and the voice is weak so unless the EP is being produced as atmospheric music for a metal venue, I worry for their sales. I hate to sound unfair or cruel, maybe it is just because this genre Valfader presents just doesn’t ‘do it’ for me. I would still love to see them live because I can imagine the room gets completely taken over by a madness Valfader surely brings to a stage. They like things to be big and good for them, metal deserves to be EPIC and they certainly bring that to the table. I just hope something is done about the vocalist before their journey up the ladder is continued and inevitably ended before reaching the top. 
Well done guys, I still think you deserve a great pat on the back. You’re experienced and have a lot of passion for music, which is demonstrated in your efforts.   



Check Valfader out and let me know your views in the comment box below:
www.facebook.com/valfader

No comments:

Post a Comment